Monday, March 24, 2008

Everything I have learned in 4 months

I am going to be the valedictorian of the November 2007 birth class. Changing diapers......no problem,
preaparing a bottle.............piece of cake,
giving a bath.................with my eyes closed,
setting up a car seat....................in record time.

Though, there are some things about being a new dad that require practice and a lot of work. Im talking full time job here.

First off let me say that yes, IM A DAD!!!!!! I have not updated this blog or online pics of my gorgeous little Ava in months. 4 to be exact. Keep reading and you will see why.

Ava was born on November 25, 2007 which is now the happiest day of my life. I was there helping Traci and the doctors. I could write a full book on the experience in the delivery room but we will leave that for another time. Some of those images will haunt.....I mean I will treasure those images for life.

From day one, you have to learn to live without any sort of quality sleep. Sure you get to sleep, an hour here, maybe 3 there, but you are up feeding, rocking, changing diapers, cleaning, maybe a little work thrown in there, but for the most part you are a walking zombie. Now, that Ava is coming up on her 4 month birthday, I have gotten in a groove but there was a ton of learning along the way.

A lot of what I have learned in the last 4 months:

1. Sleep when you can. Sure, your body adjusts to only sleeping 4 or 5 hours a night but it was not meant to. Our generation looked rather young up into their 30s but that is only because we waited to have kids till then. Lack of sleep and proper nurishment will age you quickly. Please hold on a second while I pull out another grey hair.

2. Bathtime is bonding time. My generation, I think the fathers are much more active than previous genarations. We work all day and come home and are given our child to be with all night. Im not kidding, the mothers are waiting at the door with outstretched arms to hand us the kids so they can go eat bon bons and watch tivo of oprah. The image that I always saw on TV was the man coming home after a hard days work to a drink prepared, dinner on the table, and a kiss on the cheek. Damn liars. Not that I mind. Because, this time of night is about bathing the kids, reading bedtime stories, playing, and bonding.

3. Tivo is your friend. Before Tivo, there is no way you would be able to watch what few shows you follow. You are on baby schedule and she wont wait till commercial to spit up all over your shirt.

4. An SUV is a must. When you go anywhere outside the house, you have to pack enough baby gear to make sure she could survive a trip to Mt. Everest and still play in her bouncy seat.

5. Get used to saying words you thought you would never utter - bouncy seats, poopie, binky (still refuse to say that one), baby bjorn, bumbo, boppie, and on and on and on. These are real words that refer to real products, Im serious.

6. Having a cool stroller gives you street cred with the other new parents. My little Ava only rolls in the new Peg Perego Skate. You better recognize.

7. Always stay armed with a burp cloth, pacifer, and a silly face. Crying can happen at any moment.

8. Spit up is a way of life. I dont own one piece of clothing without reminances of Ava's lunch or dinner.

9. If you have a family member around, hand off the baby for feeding or changing. I dont know if it is a secret or not but they love that stuff. Especially the grandparents. What becomes a chore for you is the highlight of their day. Now if I can just figure out how to make the whole paying for a car at 16 as big of a joy for them.

10. Your baby's smile can melt away any problem or bad day.

At four months, I think I have passed with flying colors but I know I have a lot more adventure ahead of me. I cant wait!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I remember those first 4 months - sounds like you've passed with straight A's (of course survival is the ticket :)- Here's to the next 17 years 8 months! Congrats