Sunday, April 22, 2007

Things that keep me up at night

We have our first drs. appointment this Thursday. Im am very excited! I think we get to hear the heart beat. I think the reality will hit me at the appointment that we are having a baby. So far, it seems like it is going to be far off in the future when we actually have the baby. Plus, Im trying not to get too excited until we are farther along. But, there are things that have started to keep me up at night...............................

Cribs and bottles and rocking chairs. First of all, what is good and how the hell are we going to pay for it? Ask me the best mp3 player or the newest cell phone and I can rattle off every spec and tell you where to get the best deal. Baby stuff................uhhhhhhhh, no. Cant help you there. Go ask one of my pregnant friends or one of my friends that has a baby. NOW that is going to be me! Crazy, right?

Next thing, what is the best bedding or what color do we paint the nursey? You mean Orange and Blue or Pewter are not valid choices? And, maternity jeans, or how long to breast feed, or "Is the ferber method good"..............this stuff is like a foriegn language to me. Cant I just add an "O" or "A" to the end of the word like I used to do in spanish class when I didnt know the answer to get by.

I also now have to start thinking about really adult things like life insurance or saving for college or what CBS show is on tonight? Does this mean my next car purchase is going to be based on the safety standards and not the horsepower? This is a total paradigm shift for me. Women are built with some inherent sense of what to do. Not us guys, we have not evolved much past the days when we clubbed animals and brought them home to provide for our family. Instead of a club, I wield a mighty keyboard and bluetooth headset. Those deadly technology tools have to help me bring home brontosaurus burgers for not just Traci and I, but for a little one also. It brings so much happiness to think about that but it also contributes to only averaging 3 hours sleep per night.

No comments: